Chia seeds and flax seeds team up to deliver a blend of heart-healthy omega-3 fatty acids in this very orange-flavored green smoothie.
Omega-3 Mandarin Orange Smoothie, by Veganbythebook
MAKES: 4 cups (almost 1000 ml)
- 1 ½ cups unsweetened coconut water (I used C2O brand)
- 1 tablespoon organic chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seeds
- 1 teaspoon maca powder
- ½ teaspoon camu camu powder (with 245% Daily Value of vitamin C)
- 1 Medjool date
- 1 banana, peeled and broken into chunks
- 4 Satsuma mandarin oranges, peeled and pulled into pieces
- 2 cups chopped green kale
- Add all ingredients to the jar of a high-speed blender and process until smooth and creamy, 1-2 minutes, tamping down as needed.
MORE OF THE STORY:
One tablespoon of ground flaxseeds contains about 1.8 grams of omega-3 essential fatty acids. To enable nutrient absorption, flax seeds must be ground. Store your ground flax seeds in an air-tight container in the refrigerator or freezer.
One tablespoon of chia seeds contains about 2.5 grams of omega-3 essential fatty acids. Chia seeds do not have to be ground to enable nutrient absorption. Keep your chia seeds in a cool, dry place. I keep mine in the freezer.