Imagine preparing a fabulous French meal (plant-based of course!). Rather than discarding the bouquet garni, you strip off the leaves and add the flavorful herbs to the blender jar when you are preparing your favorite smoothie.
Today’s smoothie features a freshly picked apple and the raw flavors of herbs typically bundled together with twine or in cheesecloth as the French bouquet garni: parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme. On a hot day (like today), this smoothie offers frosty refreshment.
I appreciate the deer leaving me a more than adequate supply of apples. Perhaps as they continue to develop sweetness on the tree, the deer will be taking them off the tree at a faster rate. Here is a typical cluster of apples and also THE APPLE used to make today’s smoothie.
Apple, Parsley, Sage, Rosemary, and Thyme Smoothie, by Veganbythebook
MAKES: 4 ½ cups (about 1050 ml)
- 2 frozen bananas, broken into pieces (peel before freezing)
- 1 can (16.5 fluid ounces / 490 ml) unsweetened coconut water with pulp (I used Thirsty Buddha brand. Yes, if you’ve been paying attention the other brand I have been using is 16.3 fluid ounces / 480 ml.)
- ¼ cup rolled oats
- 3 tablespoons hulled hemp seeds
- 3 tablespoons fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 6 leaves fresh sage
- 1 teaspoon maca powder
- ½ teaspoon packed fresh rosemary sprigs
- ½ teaspoon packed fresh thyme
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 Medjool date
- 1 apple, cored and chopped (unpeeled)
- 2 tightly packed cups chopped kale
- Add all ingredients to the jar of a high-speed blender. Process until smooth and frosty, about 1-2 minutes. Enjoy!
Sage is a very aromatic member of the mint family. It appears sage loves hot weather. We have had more than our fair share of heatwaves this year. Now I have an unwieldy crop of sage crowding out cucumbers, tomatoes, and tomatillos.