It’s still apple season here! The deer have left me plenty. This morning, I found some beautiful mint leaves in a raised bed area. So, today, let’s try freshly picked apple and mint, made creamy with half of a large avocado.
AVOCADO ADVICE: Be careful with how much avocado you put into your smoothie. Too much will make pudding. Half a large, ripe avo made today’s smoothie creamy without having to use a spoon.
Today I skipped the banana and raised the sweet taste with a 2nd Medjool date and a few dried cubeb berries.
For more about cubeb (tailed pepper), read this earlier post:
Creamy Apple Mint Smoothie, by Veganbythebook
MAKES: 4 cups (about 1000 ml)
- ½ large avocado, peeled and pitted (Save the other half for later: Keep the pit in the other half to slow the oxidation that darkens the exposed edge of the flesh)
- 1 can (16.3 fluid ounces / 485 ml) unsweetened coconut water with pulp (I used C2O brand)
- 12 fresh mint leaves (about 2 tablespoons)
- 3 tablespoons hulled hemp seeds
- 1 teaspoon maca powder
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 cubeb (“Tailed pepper”) berries
- 2 Medjool dates
- 1 apple, cored and chopped (unpeeled)
- 2 tightly packed cups mixed baby greens (almost 4 ounces) – I used chard, kale, and spinach.
- Add all ingredients to the jar of a high-speed blender. Process until smooth, 1 – 2 minutes.
- FOR A MARBLED EFFECT: Add all ingredients except the baby greens to the jar of a high-speed blender. Process until smooth, about 1 minute.
- Set aside 2 cups of this blend.
- Then add the baby greens to the remaining mix in the blender jar. Process until smooth, about another 30 seconds.
- Layer the different colored blends into your drinking glass (e.g., into your Mason jar, alternate one cup of each until the one-quart jar is full.