Here’s a refreshing smoothie featuring two ubiquitous veggies of summer: cucumber and zucchini.
Cucumber-infused water is everywhere (at least here in northern California). In the United States, August 8th was National Sneak Some Zucchini onto Your Neighbor’s Porch Day.
This year, I enjoyed growing “Crystal Apple” cucumbers in my small raised garden bed.
This week’s CSA produce box delivery included some lovely zucchini.
So, today, the cuke and zuke combination distracted me from my abundance of golden delicious apples.
Other than some sage leaves, there’s no leafy greens in today’s smoothie. That doesn’t mean this smoothie is short on nutrition.
Zucchini highlights (1 ½ cups chopped):
- Vitamin C: 50% Daily Value
- Vitamin B-6: 15% DV
- Potassium: 13% DV
- A good source of vitamin A, magnesium, and folic acid.
Cucumber is a rich source of vitamin K and also is a fair source of vitamin C, potassium, manganese, and magnesium.
Cuke and Zuke Smoothie, by Veganbythebook
MAKES: 5 cups (about 1200 ml)
- 2 frozen bananas, broken into pieces
- 1 (16.5 fluid ounce / 490 ml) can unsweetened coconut water with pulp
- 3 tablespoons hulled hemp seeds
- 1 teaspoon maca powder
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 Medjool date
- ½ teaspoon fresh rosemary needles
- 8 fresh sage leaves
- ¾ cup cucumber, chopped (scrub prickly bits off if applicable)
- 1 ½ cups zucchini, chopped
- Add all ingredients to the jar of a high-speed blender. Slowly increase the speed and blend until smooth, about 1 minute.