Looking for something light to start my Labor Day holiday, I came up with this delightfully frothy Lemon Shiso Cucumber Smoothie.
I fear my two red shiso plants in the garden might be coming to the end of their yield. The heatwaves we have had come and go. The heirloom “Crystal Apple” cucumbers magically appear after a particularly hot day.
It’s also time to finish making good use of the free lemons from a friend’s tree. For this smoothie, I just peeled a lemon, pulled into in halves, and popped it into the blender jar. With a high-speed blender, I don’t worry of gritty seeds, as they get pureed up smoothly with the other ingredients. If you have a less high-powered blender, go ahead an remove those lemon seeds, before adding the lemon to the mix.
A sprinkle of sesame seeds garnishes this smoothie. For more eye-appeal, use black sesame seeds.
Lemon Shiso Cucumber Smoothie, by Veganbythebook
MAKES: 1 cup (about 1000 ml)
- 1 large lemon, peeled and pulled into halves (remove seeds if not using a high-speed blender)
- 1 (16.5 fluid ounce) can unsweetened coconut water with pulp (I used Thirsty Buddha brand)
- 3 tablespoons hulled hemp seeds
- 1 tablespoon red shiso leaves
- 1 teaspoon maca powder
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 Medjool dates, pitted
- 1 cup chopped cucumber (If prickly, like my “Crystal Apple” cucumber, then brush vigorously before chopping to remove the spikes)
- 2 celery stalks, chopped (about ¾ cup)
- Optional garnish: sesame seeds
- Add all ingredients to the jar of a high-speed blender. Process until smooth, about 1 minute. Pour into serving glass(es).
- (Optional) Garnish with a sprinkle of sesame seeds.