Kick off a summer morning with this lush, sweet, peppery smoothie: Watermelon Peach.
The color was on the sunny side, like a mango-based smoothie. I happened to have a yellow, seedless, mini watermelon chilling in the fridge for the past few days.
To avoid the dreaded brownish hue inherent in some green smoothie recipes, try this with yellow watermelon, if you are fortunate enough to have some available in your area.
Baby arugula adds a bit of peppery flavor that works well with these fruits.
This recipe yielded a perfect amount for my to-go cup.
For those avoiding bananas, I have great news. This is a banana-free recipe. I happen to live with a few folks who cannot stand the taste or smell of banana, so this recipe is a great candidate for future family sharing.
Watermelon Peach Smoothie, by Veganbythebook
Makes: 800 ml (about 27 ounces)
- 2 cups watermelon (removed from the rind, seeded if not seedless, and chopped)
- 2 yellow peaches, pitted and chopped (leave the skin on to maximize the nutritional value)
- ¼ cup rolled oats (quick-cook or regular)
- 3 tablespoons hemp seeds (for 10 grams of protein)
- 1 teaspoon lucuma powder (for an added touch of sweetness)
- 1 teaspoon maca powder (for power, stamina, and strong libido)
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder (my go-to anti-inflammatory, antioxidant boost)
- 1 cup baby arugula, tightly packed
- 1 tablespoon cilantro (chopped stems and leaves)
- Add the watermelon and peaches to the jar of a high-speed blender. Slowly increase the speed and puree until mostly smooth, 30 – 60 seconds.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the blender jar and blend until smooth and creamy, about another minute, tamping down or scraping down the contents as needed.
- Pour into your jar, cup or glass, garnish with a bit of cilantro.
NOTE: If you can’t tolerate cilantro, try this with fresh basil instead of cilantro.