Pair blackberries with cocoa (or raw cacao, if you like) to start off your day memorably. Try a bit of star anise powder for a bold taste, reminiscent of licorice.
Star anise is found in Chinese 5-spice blends. Star anise has been found to be:
- Rich in antioxidants
- Natural flu fighter
- Aid in regulating blood sugar
This is a thick, rich smoothie, with an attractive dark color from the cocoa and blackberries. Enjoy!
Chocolate Blackberry Smoothie with Star Anise, by Veganbythebook
Makes: 4 ½ cups (about 1050 ml)
- 1 ½ cups unsweetened almond milk
- 3 tablespoon hempseeds
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder (or raw cacao powder)
- 1 teaspoon maca powder
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ¼ teaspoon star anise powder (or up to ½ teaspoon)
- Vanilla bean, about a 1-inch piece
- 1 medjool date
- 2 frozen bananas, chopped (peel before freezing)
- 1 mandarin orange, peeled and pulled into a few pieces
- 2 cups kale, chopped
- Add all ingredients to the jar of a high-speed blender and process until smooth, about 1-2 minutes, tamping down as needed.
CAVEAT: Beware of the grittiness of the blackberry seeds. Depending on how well blended your smoothie gets, you might even find a stray seed or two stuck between your teeth,