Tasty peach pie for breakfast … without remorse. The allspice takes today’s peachy orange smoothie to a time and place where pie for breakfast is mainstream.
Allspice has the flavor and aroma of cinnamon, clove, ginger, and nutmeg. It provides a brash blend without having to blend different spices.
Let’s start with a cup of frozen peach slices and a peeled minneola tangelo (or cara cara orange or navel orange).
If you don’t want quite this much (5 cups) of smoothie, you could try one frozen (peeled) banana rather than two.
Add the unsweetened organic almond milk. I bet unsweetened vanilla almond milk would also be a good choice. Feel free to use whichever plant-based milk you happen to have on hand. If you have to used something sweetened because that’s what’s in the fridge, I suggest skipping the medjool date.
I am trying a different brand of organic hemp seeds today. I look forward to seeing hemp seeds on the store shelves marked “Grown in the U.S.A.” For protein fans, remember 3 tablespoons of hulled hemp seeds provides 10 grams of protein.
Add the pitted date and the powders:
- Mmm, maca for energy, strength, and stamina (long trail run coming up later today);
- Allspice to create that pie-for-breakfast experience;
- Turmeric for its legendary anti-inflammatory and antioxidant effects.
Last into the high-speed blender jar: chopped kale. I found lacinato kale in the produce drawer (from this week’s CSA box delivery). Feel free to switch among a variety of greens for optimal overall health. Try any kind of kale or chard or spinach or bok choy. Maybe you have other greens you like to use in your smoothies.
Enjoy your breakfast pie!
Peachy Orange Smoothie with Allspice, by Veganbythebook
Makes: About 5 cups
- 1 cups frozen peach slices
- 1 minneola tangelo, peeled and pulled into sections (or cara cara orange or navel orange)
- 2 frozen bananas, chopped (peeled before freezing)
- 1 ½ cups unsweetened organic almond milk
- 3 tablespoon hulled hemp seeds
- 1 teaspoon maca powder
- ½ teaspoon allspice powder
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 medjool date, pitted
- 2 cups kale (chopped)
- Add all ingredients to the jar of a high-speed blender and process until smooth, about 1 – 2 minutes, tamping down as needed.