Sometimes I want a little crunch in my morning smoothie. This frosty smoothie with a raw chocolate crunch requires three steps.
Taking about a minute in the high-speed blender with the first five ingredients helps to ensure the dates are fully broken down. Unless you like little bits of date in your smoothie, hold off with the ice until step two. I DID find two small bits of date at the bottom of my to-go cup!
The third step quickly incorporates the nibs, leaving a crunchy texture to your otherwise smooth and creamy drink.
Nutrition Spotlight: Rolled Oats
- Rolled oats are a whole-grain, fiber-rich food, known for its “bad cholesterol”-lowering properties.
- Oats are a good source of copper, iron, magnesium, manganese, phosphorous, selenium, thiamine (Vitamin B1), and zinc.
Banana Oat Chip, by Veganbythebook
Makes: 28 ounces (850 ml)
2 bananas, peeled and halved
1 ½ cups coconut water (I used ZICO brand, which is not from concentrate and has no added sugar.)
1/3 cup rolled oats
1 teaspoon maca powder
2 medjool dates, pitted
1 ½ cups ice
1 tablespoon cacao nibs
- Add all ingredients, except ice and cacao nibs, to high-speed blender. Blend until smooth, about 1 minute.
- Add ice and blend until frosty, about 30 seconds.
- Add cacao nibs and blend for an additional 5 seconds to fully distribute and break down into smaller bits. If you want a smooth texture, then add nibs during step #1.